Do I have the flu?
Do I need to see my doctor?
We are in the midst of a huge outbreak of viral illnesses, some of which are “colds” and some of which are influenza (“the flu”). Our Garden City Family Health Team urgent care clinics have become extremely busy, as you may discovered. Many people think “the flu” means vomiting and diarrhea, but it does not. Influenza is mainly an illness of cough, fever and muscle aches. We doctors still (sadly) cannot cure the common cold, no matter how long you have had it, even after weeks. Antibiotics do not help, because colds and flu are caused by viruses and not bacteria. We recommend you stay home, drink fluids and treat any fever with acetaminophen or ibuprofen. We CAN treat influenza with specific antiviral medications, but these are reserved for people who are VERY ILL and need to be given within 48 hours of the start of the illness in order to be effective.
Click HERE for more information on cold and flu symptoms.
Programs & Services
- *NEW* IHP Program Calendar Click HERE for Dates
- Health Care and Education
- Nutritional and Lifestyle Counseling
- Craving Change
- Healthy Lifestyle Program
- Diabetes Care Team
- Individual and Supportive Counseling
- Mental Health Assessments
- Memory Clinic
- Asthma and COPD Clinic
- Stop Smoking Clinic
- Take Control Take Charge!
Family physicians accepting new patients that DO NOT currently have a family doctor:
- Dr. Ali Mohamed – Please call 905-685-8700 for more information.
- Dr. Kiran Sandhu – Please call 905-988-5126 for more information.
Not Registered? Click HERE.
Prescription Renewal Policy McMaster Niagara Site Patients ONLY
When you are running low on your prescription medication, please have your pharmacy fax our office a request for your renewals 48-72 hours PRIOR to running out. Thank you!